For optimal usability, please use the purchasing tool on laptop or desktop devices.
Travel insurance has a wide range of coverage, for example:
- Medical Emergency Coverage
- If you were to get sick, injured on your trip, travel insurance will pay for your expenses
- Trip Cancellation Coverage
- In case you need to cancel your trip for a legitimate reason before you have departed, travel insurance will reimburse you for the non-refundable part of your trip
- Trip Interruption Coverage
- In case you need to return early from your trip due to reasons with your home or a family member, travel insurance will help you pay for the additional expenses for your arrangements to come home early
- There may be other benefits such as emergency medical evacuation, ID theft, repatriation of remains, rental car coverage etc. They may vary among various policies.
Provincial Health insurance plans and other travel insurance like credit cards and employee group benefits may not provide the coverage to handle all these travel emergencies. Out of Canada emergency medical expenses are not generally covered by your provincial medical plan and these expenses can be financially devastating. Whether you travel frequently or occasionally, there is a plan that suits you good. Depending on your needs, you can opt for coverage on a daily or annual basis. When you are planning your vacation or any trip, do not forget to purchase this insurance
Visitors to Canada health insurance is designed for those who are not covered by a provincial health care plan and need a temporary emergency medical and hospital coverage while living, traveling, working and studying in Canada. If you are planning to bring loved ones to Canada on a visiting visa, you would need to equip them with a suitable medical insurance coverage depending on the length of their visit. Medical treatment in Canada is too expensive. Hence, availing medical insurance prevents you and your family from incurring heavy medical expenses in case of unforeseen minor or major health setbacks during their trip here.
New Immigrant Insurance
If you are a new immigrant to Canada, you would not be provided with your provincial and territorial coverage right away. It would take a minimum three months before you get your health card. So you should be prudent enough to protect yourself with medical coverage during that period. You can apply for this coverage even before you could land in Canada. Look for a coverage that meets your needs.
Medical costs can amount to a substantial loss that not only puts a damper on holiday plans but can put you seriously out-of-pocket for months to come. Often government or company health plans may not cover injuries or hospitalization costs incurred abroad.
Whether you travel frequently or occasionally, there is a plan that’s right for you:
- Medical Plans for Visitors to Canada
- Medical Plans for New Immigrants
- Medical Insurance for Traveling Canadians
- Medical Plans for International Students
You can purchase basic travel insurance that will cover things like emergency medical treatment and hospital stays, but you also have the option of buying policies that include extra bells and whistles if you wish. Benefits like a companion at your bedside, vehicle and pet returns, accidental dental, change of mind, baggage delay, etc. The key is to pick the level of coverage that you are comfortable with and that fits the type of trip you have planned.